Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Heart... Grace and Blessings

He who finds a wife finds what is good (Proverbs 18:22) -- why does God so abundantly bless some of us, who are less than nothing on our own, and yet withhold his grace from others?

Who am I, that I would be so abundantly blessed with a wife who loves God and loves her neighbors? Why have I been so blessed with a partner and help-meet, who God sometimes allows me to bless and who God so often uses to bless me in truth, in wisdom, in spiritual growth, and in accountability? Why have we been so blessed with friends and family who love us and step up to take care of us when stressful times come, and with children who are bright and joyful?

Those of us who are in Christ should not think of ourselves as the depraved, wretched, rebellious enemies of God we were born into -- to do so is to question the value of the cross of Christ, and His sacrifice upon it, and God's redemptive power worked through it. Yet I cannot help but reflect (especially as I see the destroyer at work all around me, and my heart breaks for the blindness and arrogance of those who destroy themselves and those around them) -- why me?

I have no delusions that my whole life can change in an instant, just as Job's did, or that I could not fall into temptation next year, or tomorrow, and hurt people I love -- but why has God blessed me with the fear of it (not just respect, but fear -- the kind that makes me scared to death of pulling away from God, even for an instant)?

No comments:

Post a Comment