Friday, April 17, 2009

Body... Outdoors

Spring may finally be here! I'm looking forward to a weekend of warmer temperatures in the Midwest (though chances are good it will rain -- again), enjoying the lengthening days, and perhaps even some sun-shine.

One of the greatest "common" blessings that I know of in this life is the chance to be outdoors, enjoying God's creation. But how many of us stop to think about what is really out there, and how much good it can do us if we're fairly wise about it?

I've enjoyed riding my bicycle year-round the last couple of years. Before that, I was strictly a fair-weather outsider -- when the temperature fell below 40 degrees in the morning, or water began to fall from the sky (or even stand in the street), I headed for the gym instead. I've found I have to be careful what I proclaim (words are too easily eaten, and while calorie-free usually taste terrible), but I'm pretty much done with that, at least for now. I used to be miserable all winter, huddling in heavy coats or layers of clothes while my nose ran and I went through one round of illness after another (sinus infections, colds, flu, stomach viruses -- you name it). Now, I feel much better, I rarely get sick, and my tolerance for cold air (and dampness) is much higher (OK, my nose still runs more than it probably should, but I can live with that).

Admittedly, spending more time outdoors, riding and running no matter what the weather brought, was not my only change -- I've learned more about using vitamins and minerals and "toxic cleansing" to head off sicknesses early, I've learned more about which foods to eat (and which ones not to eat), and I do a little better about getting more sleep when I need it. But I'm convinced that hiding-out in the gym for the winter exposed me to more germs, and did very little to build up my immune-system.

The more I learn about what works well for my body, the more I'm convinced that God designed into us more adaptability than we realize (especially true for those who fail to realize that there even is one true God!). So go enjoy the double blessing of the outdoors -- enjoying creation while benefiting from it!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. There is no one thing to stay healthy, but a lot of things working together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob! You're right, but I've found that some things are more important for me than others (work out while outdoors, rather than just going to a gym, for example), so I try to find the right combination so I can do as many of the really important things as possible -- while continuing to be useful to God, a conscientious father, and happily married!

    ReplyDelete