Friday, March 20, 2009

Heart... Love and

(Don't you love challenging verses?!?)

(Ephesians 5:15-33)

I know this passage is a bit longer than we're often used to seeing all together, but I try to be careful not to take ideas out of context. In fact, even truth as full as that contained this passage is not complete outside of the context of the rest of the Canon, so in emphasizing it we must draw on a Biblical understanding of God's commands.

One such understanding is that God's commands are not conditional. That is, when he tells me to do something the actions of those around me really have very little to do with whether He expects me to obey or not.

Therefore, in living my heart first for God and then for my wife, my responsibility to lead (including helping encourage and account for areas as tough as submission) never eclipses my responsibility to love as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it(!)

In asking her to submit herself to me that day I have to first ask myself how I've done in loving her selflessly that day.

Speaking of which, the kids need to go to bed in 10 minutes, and Kate is calling, so maybe I'll get back to this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment