Friday, March 20, 2009

Body... To ride

I'm really looking forwarding to riding some tomorrow, so I'd better go to bed so I have the energy to do it.

Riding is another paradox for me (my life seems full of them, which is of course no accident!) -- it gives me time for spiritual reflection and yet often distracts me from spiritual action; it broadens my circle of friends and narrows my circle of influence. This would all be very confusing if I didn't entrust it all to God (which does NOT mean that I absolve myself of any responsibility for it)!

God gives mercy and justice, blessings and judgments, treasures and snares. Were I not His child, I might think it a worshipful thing to ride. As it is, I'll take the blessing, while taking care not to let any of those two-wheeled things (or even the act of being on them) become an idol.

My Love gave me a poster with a cyclist on it (a mountain biker coming over a peak, to be exact) with the rising sun in the background and Genesis 1:1 quoted at the top. The caption on it says simply "Thank You." There are lots of good reasons to ride, as we care for these human shells, but if my heart isn't right then it doesn't really matter what I do with my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment