Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Soul... Knowing God, Day 4 -- The People who know their God

J.I. Packer begins chapter 2 of Knowing God with a story about a man he obviously looked up to, and it stands in sharp contrast to our Contemporary-Christian tendency to glorify everything BUT God (how often do you hear someone say "I'm so thankful that so many people have been praying for me -- I just know it's all those prayers that have brought me through this" (my emphasis added in bold type)?).

Packer presents his story as follows:
"I walked in the sunshine with a scholar who had effectively forfeited his prospects of academic achievement by clashing with church dignitaries over the gospel of grace. 'But it doesn't matter,' he said at length, 'for I've known God and they haven't.' The remark was a mere parenthesis, a passing comment on something I had said, but it has stuck with me and set me thinking.
"Not many of us, I think, would ever naturally say that we have known God. The words imply a definiteness and matter-of-factness of experience to which most of us, if we are honest, have to admit that we are still stangers..."
"Nor, I think, would many of us ever naturally say that in the light of the knowledge of God which we have come to enjoy, past disappointments and present heartbreaks, as the world counts heartbreaks, don't matter..."

May we glorify God in obeying His commands and in striving to know Him more on His terms (namely, through spending time studying, praying over, and meditating on His Word), and in doing so build our hunger for knowing Him -- and realize the joy that comes from letting the things of this world matter less and less to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment